Friday, May 18, 2012

On Motivation and Sweet thoughtfulness

I've been quite stressed out this couple of days.. As the students' results start coming back, it's like getting my half-year appraisal, of sorts. Whilst results do not determine everything, in my line of work, it does serve as a sort of work-appraisal.. Has my methods/efforts worked for the student?

The compilation thus far has been mediocre.. I have a fair share of students who have shown improvement, but also a number who have not done as well. I was on tenterhooks.. teethering on the edge.. then came the evaluations, parents' feedback and requests.. Very luckily for me, this period is not a matter of who should be responsible or be blamed, unlike in some areas of work i know. I hope that means my communication skills with the parents have improved some these 2 years.. We are looking for solutions and not who to blame. I also have to be thankful that for the families i have worked with long enough, the parents have enough trust in me and also are the understanding kind. Of course, that does not mean i can shirk my own responsibility just because the parents are not the i-blame-u sort. Hence that explains the stress i put upon myself and my quality of work.

It was only till midday today whilst i was in the midst of messaging conversations with parents that i took a step back and realised what a good learning point this can be. I have been rather lethargic recently due to the lull in my work. It seems i have exhausted my resources and i am facing a period of stagnancy where I do not feel i can do more. This has happened to push me back onto the motivational platform again, which reminded me of when i first started out and was going through that crazy busy period of resourcing and reading up loads of materials to establish myself and hone my skills. I can do this again! Resources are limitless.. I can look for more ways to sharpen my skills. This has happened to give me the much-needed push. =)

Perhaps this is what they mean by seeing every moment as a challenge instead of a struggle. I read a very appropriate article that JC posted on Facebook today:

http://www.purposefairy.com/4899/15-powerful-things-happy-people-do-differently/

*****

Came home today feeling abit tired out and weary and saw a brown package waiting for me.


OMG a care package from my dear ZT... filled with some of my fave things.. star-themed! and a really sweet note. I almost teared when i read it. =) thankew gal u have no idea how much your care package was a booster to me =)

It's been a while since i received such care packages.. i rem back in schooldays, it's sth my friends and i always did for each other from time to time (i rem receiving a handmade container of 500 hearts folded from bus tickets from my partner in school during a rough period) when emails and technology weren't all the rage. Nowadays, it's so rare to receive something someone really goes out of his/her way to prepare for you with you specially in mind. I was really touched by ZT's gesture. And it really came in at a very good time, when i was feeling rather down and stressed out. I guess gifts is really my love language. My heart is so easily won by such sweet gifts. It doesn't even have to be expensive, just have to be with me in mind =)

I love u ZT, and you are the blessing i wanna thank for today =)

No comments: