Monday, January 28, 2013

On my epiphany towards brands..

This post was "enforced" by K (lol gal, i will be as tactful as i can haha) and inspired by G..

I refer to my post last year..

http://sweetlingeringfantasies.blogspot.sg/2012/05/on-inspired-brands-and-relationships.html

I cannot imagine that post was just written less than a year ago, and here I am, about to slap myself for the change in me not even a year from then.. My double standards heh.

Not a year ago, I was contented with my inspired bags and accessories, and I simply cannot comprehend the concept of plunking down a 3/4-digit sum for a bag. I was pondering upon how my attitude towards inspireds reflected my attitude towards relationships: I had always settled for less. 7 months on, I stand at the turnstile of another era of my life, and as I embrace the new identity this turning point gives me, naturally so does my tastes.

At the doorstep to the 30s, I feel more woman (I don't know if this makes sense), I feel more feminine. I start to appreciate the quiet femininity and elegance of Audrey Hepburn (my forever fashion icon) more; i used to love her for her quirkiness, but now I embrace all the elegant beauty she epitomizes. I embrace my flowing curls, my dresses and the subtle enhancement (not transformation) of makeup and skincare. I embrace the femininity that is within me even more.

I remember this talk i had with KR and P separately. P told me how relaxing it is to be in Aus, how nobody cared when u carried a cloth bag or recyclable bag and walk the streets, but how brand-conscious one naturally becomes when back in sg. KR agrees with this point, but on the other hand, admits to being a brand conscious gal herself. I think for me, it was usually more of a case of, if someone gives me a branded item, i would of course love it to bits, but if i don't have it, oh well, i can always settle for less. And i don't deny, I have owned some really quality pieces that aren't branded. In fact, one of my fave clutches to this day is this black-and-white checked one made by an indie designer passed on to me by one of my cousins' ex-gfs.

I do admit, i am also influenced. I am surrounded by friends who is the "real-or-nothing" deal, but i think i have not been as affected till I walked into a Marc by Marc Jacobs store with G that Sat afternoon, and my dear friend (who is among one of the few remaining friends who usually did not give a care towards brands, but is now looking at certain brands) bought a MMJ laptop sleeve and influenced me into making my first random buy (not that random if you consider 20 mins contemplation over the item long), an iPad sleeve for Cordelia, my new iPad, in a branded store. I had never been that influenced before with my other friends. I always managed to look on with a dispassionate eye. Prior to the MMJ epiphany, I had been oogling at arm bangles at Kate Spade (this was influenced by F, who gifted me my first branded bangle, a multi-coloured Coach bangle which I love to bits) but i managed to walk away resolutely still. Not in MMJ. However i am enjoying my bright pink iPad sleeve with relish which even had a random Starbucks staff asking me about it. I don't know what overcame me but my epiphany towards brands has dawned upon me.

Probably a couple of incidents prior to this have also been the catalysts. I remember packing my bagdrobe as part of the annual CNY packing and packing out bags and then some which have or are falling apart in some areas (peeling of material etc). I remember feeling v disappointed as I had to throw some of them out, or even when i gave the better ones away, i felt neutral. It felt like cutting a piece of my forgotten past. There was no bag that made me want to hold on to abit longer. Somewhat like people and relationships, they come and go.

Piglet and my cousin made this v practical comment, i could have invested all my money in one or two branded bags, with the money i spent on the random bags. I would feel less inclined to buy many bags when i get a really good one. I felt this discarding of bags like how i am dealing with my relationships nowadays. I am cutting all the bad sheep and bits out. I don't feel like i want to tolerate any more rubbish than necessary in my life. I was able to discard pretty emotionlessly..

So with that, i enter my 29th year with this peace in my mind. I am going to make more sensible purchases (after all the insurance and savings-for-house planning of course, and wanderlust trips!!). I am going to put down that $4/$5 bracelet in that stall, I am going to close the window on a random online bag, and invest in quality, timeless pieces that suits my new identity. Just as i will in worthy people.

Clear out, rubbish. Welcome, branded loves. heh

Mine..

Mine-to-be.. winks



No comments: